Northeastern University is a top-ranked research university located in Boston, MA. The school has an acceptance rate of 22% for the class of 2022, making it one of the most competitive schools in the country. The university also ranks highly for its business, engineering, and computer science programs. If you’re interested in applying to Northeastern University, be sure to check out this blog post. We’ll cover the school’s acceptance rate, ranking, and scholarship information.
Northeastern University Acceptance rate
- The acceptance rate of the northeastern university in 2019 was 18%
- The acceptance rate of the northeastern university in 2020 was 19%
- The acceptance rate of the northeastern university in 2021 was 20%
- The acceptance rate of the northeastern university in 2022 is 21%
Northeastern University is a highly selective private research university with an acceptance rate of just 18% (on average). Located in Boston, Massachusetts, Northeastern is considered one of the most prestigious universities in the Northeast.
Northeastern has a strong commitment to experiential learning and offers a unique cooperative education program. Undergraduates can choose from over 200 programs of study and have the opportunity to complete multiple internships and co-ops as part of their degree.
In addition to its excellent academic reputation, Northeastern is also known for its strong athletic program. The Northeastern Huskies compete in the NCAA Division I Hockey East conference and have won five conference championships.
If you’re interested in applying to Northeastern, you’ll need to submit an application through the Common Application or Coalition Application, along with high school transcripts, SAT or ACT scores, and two letters of recommendation. For more information on the admissions process, be sure to check out our complete guide to admission at Northeastern University.
Northeastern University Deferred Acceptance rate
Northeastern University’s Deferred Acceptance rate for 2020-2022 is around 9.2%. This means that if you are deferred, there is still a very good chance you will be accepted if you continue to showcase your interest in the school and maintain or improve your grades and test scores.
- Deferred Acceptance rate of the northeastern university in 2019 was 9.2%.
- Deferred Acceptance rate of the northeastern university in 2020 was 9.1%.
- Deferred acceptance rate at northeastern university for 2021 was 8.9%.
Some students may view deferral as a negative outcome, but it doesn’t have to be! Use it as an opportunity to strengthen your application and show Northeastern that you are truly committed to attending their university.
If you have been deferred, make sure to:
- Submit any additional information or materials that may be required (such as updated transcripts or test scores)
- Write a letter of continued interest to the admissions office
- Reach out to your admissions counselor with any questions or concerns
Taking these steps will give you the best chance of being accepted off the waitlist and getting into the school of your dreams!
Northeastern University Ranking
According to U.S. News & World Report, Northeastern University is tied for 42nd place among the nation’s best colleges and universities. The university is also ranked 32nd in the “Best Value Schools” category and 34th in the “Most Innovative Schools” category. In addition, Northeastern is ranked number six in the country for “Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs.”
Northeastern University’s ranking within USA and worldwide:
- U.S. News & World Report: Tied for 42nd place among the nation’s best colleges and universities
- 32nd in the “Best Value Schools” category
- 34th in the “Most Innovative Schools” category
- 6th in the country for “Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs”
Northeastern University's famous scholarships
Northeastern University offers a number of scholarships for students who meet certain criteria. Some of the most popular scholarships include the Presidential Scholarship, which is awarded to students who demonstrate academic excellence, and the Merit Scholarship, which is awarded to students who have demonstrated financial need. Other scholarships offered by Northeastern University include the Dean’s Scholarship, the Alumni Scholarship, and the Faculty Scholarship.
Northeastern University FAQS
In the Fall of 2018, over 71,000 students applied to Northeastern University.
The tuition for Northeastern University is around $52,826 per year.
Applications for Fall admission are due January 1st and applications for Spring admission are due October 1st.
The average SAT score for Northeastern University is around 1480.
The average ACT score for Northeastern University is around 32.